Cook in Hawaii

We watched a video by Dwarven Lego on the death of Captain Cook.

Here are our retellings of what happened.

The Hawaiians stole the long boat so Cook kidnapped the chief. Captain Cook and Captain Cook’s people killed 21 Hawaiian people and 6 of Captain Cook’s people got killed. Captain Cook got killed too. Captain Cook so wanted to kill people but I don’t know why and I don’t like the captain.   – Ha Eum

Captain Cook needed to go back to Hawaii because they had to fix their foremast. The natives thought Captain Cook was their god. Some natives stole their ships. Captain Cook kidnapped one of the natives. He shot and he missed the natives and the natives fought back and Captain Cook was dead.  – Guanyu

Captain Cook needed to go back to Hawaii because his boat’s foremast broke. The natives thought he was a god. The gathered materials to fix the foremast. But two natives stole a long boat and rowed it away.Captain Cook and his crew went to kill the chief. He kidnapped the chief. The natives fought his crew. Captain Cook was killed and he was ripped in to pieces and his bones were cooked.   – Robin

In February, 1779, he broke the foremast. It broke so he returned to Hawaii and the Hawaiian people thought he was the god so they fixed the foremast but then they stole a boat from Cook so he kidnapped the chief then a war came and I hate him.
– Maliepō

Captain Cook spent his three voyages seeming to think that kidnap was a good form of diplomacy. It is hard to say whether it would have been better or worse to have gone for a frontal attack, or retreated, when things went wrong.
We talked about what we would have done if we were Captain Cook. We thought about whether we would have looked strong or weak and if that would have been important.

If I were Captain Cook I would make friends and the friends would get the boat and I would say, “Give me that!” But my friends would not give me the boat. Then I would say, “Give me that! If you do not give me that, I will kill you!” And my friends would not give me that and I would kill my friends.   – Ha Eum

If I were Captain Cook I would shoot them in the head and I would throw their heads out of the boat. I would take a knife and push it in the person’s head. Then I would take my boat.  – Milyn

If I were Captain Cook I would buy four strong dogs and I would tell the others to go back  and I would go to the mountain and I would throw rocks. The would fall down and they would die. If they come up my dogs would bite them.  – Guanyu

If I were Captain Cook I would be friends with the natives. I would give them something to fight their enemies like guns, spears, swords and knives. I would get the ship back because they are my friends.  – Robin

If I were Captain Cook I would go up to them then I would hide the gun and go to the boat and shoot one then take a knife and stab them because if they are too fast they will stab me. That is why I will have a knife and gun but it is so stupid to fight.
– Sebastian

If I were Captain Cook I would not kill people for a dumb boat. I would make another.
– Maliepō